Making Tyvek beads is a blast and I knew that this technique would make dandy bug bodies if I cut the Tyvek strips wider. I included Angelina Fiber and left-over thread scraps in the twist.
The day before, I made wing material by Gelliprinting on Pellon stiffener, to which I fused Angelina fibers.
|Here is the green body after being heat-gunned; wing material for the green bug is in the background.|
|A roll of very fine brass wire has been laying around my studio for years and proved exactly the thing for wiring on the bug heads and forming the antennae.|
|The green bug head.|
|Another old spool of wire was the perfect gauge for legs.|
|I just twisted the leg wire around the bodies.|
|When the bugs were completely assembled, I hot-glued on their wings.|
The Rainforest Festival art show hangs at the Clausen Museum here in town from August 31 through September 9 with an opening reception during September's First Friday art walk.