Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Weaving

Clear weather here always means very cold temperatures.  Sunlight flooded my studio, but it was too cold to dye fabric today, so I started a new project inspired by Els over at Fiberrainbow
Weaving strips of the fabric I stamped on last time I was in the studio with some raw silk dyed last year was meditative.   I experimented stamping with  Dharma pigment dyes, and liked the results.
Golden acrylic paints are my other go-to for stamping.  I have one precious bottle of Lumiere gold acrylic and love it for textile painting.  I plan to get additional colors of this magic stuff when I am in Juneau in a couple of weeks.  I apply the paints to hand cut rubber stamps with foam brushes.
Weaving was complete mid-afternoon, final size about 20" x 41".  I hand basted all around the edges, batted it with two layers of flannel and backed it with cotton before starting to machine quilt.  Tomorrow I'll finish the stitching, I think.
And the moon will be full.

3 comments:

  1. What a fun project! I love the contrasting colors too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so beautiful Susan! Re: Lumiere, I love it too, but it does thicken once the bottles have been opened. In the end I prefer Golden Fluid Acrylics, but they don't have the same metallic and iridescent colors as Lumiere. You can always thin the Lumiere with a little Golden GAC900 Textile Medium, which is quite thin.
    Have a great weekend. A gal in my local bank is from Juneau!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh Susan, love the bright orange with the blues! And the strips tied together give it an extra dimension ...will be looking what follows

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you - please leave me a note.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...