Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Reading Poetry


I read William Blake in January.

 This month I checked out 100 Essential Modern Poems from our library and discovered William Butler Yeats, whose poem ‘The Second Coming’ knocked me out.



 And then I saw this at Nylon Camera, and thought of Gwendolyn Brooks's poem, The Pool Players, which is also contained in the 100 Essential Modern Poems collection:


The Pool Players.
Seven at the Golden Shovel.

We real cool. We
Left school. We

Lurk late. We
Strike straight. We

Sing sin. We
Thin gin. We

Jazz June. We
Die soon.

5 comments:

  1. dear Sus this is such a lovely post, Spring and love in the air, that sounds great :)
    i had a look at Nylon Camera, love it!
    city people doing just what they do, no real posing, very beautiful work, beautiful blog,
    and Gwendolyn Brooks's poem, it sounds so fresh, timeless, could have been written today.
    sunshine on the mountain top looks good, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaah only a few more weeks till you can celebrate reunion ! (you can make your own love poem ....) keep up the good mood, Sus !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great link that I didn't know about, Sus! And one thing I want to do is read more poetry, like a LOT more :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sus!
    Awesome images, i like how you put them in this perfect order!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mucho LOVE this post.
    so sensible, so deep.
    blake and yeats.
    though those pool players really keep me hanging in too...
    n♥

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you - please leave me a note.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...